Thursday 24 May 2007

Boys will be boys...!

Sometime in 1984

I am still serving on HMS Yarmouth. We are now acting as guard ship in the West Indies.

So what is a guard ship? Basically the ship's duties are to patrol the islands and to respond to any requests for help, particularly in disaster areas. For example if an island was struck by a hurricane or tsunami we would provide search and rescue assistance, medical support and disaster relief.

Of course, during such a deployment there is usually plenty of opportunity for shore time to explore the islands. This is one of the better locations!

Now, let me explain a little about 'Jolly Jack' to you. He is away from home and tends to adopt the attitude that 'what they don't know, won't hurt them!" So, presented with the opportunity for, let's say, some female company, he usually doesn't try too hard to resist.

We are alongside in Antigua. This is one of the larger islands that is at once beautiful but of stark contrasts. On the one hand, there are beautiful beaches and expensive homes, on the other, there are many people living near the poverty line.

I am enticed ashore by a couple of my mess mates and we head out to find a suitable watering hole. This doesn't prove too hard and we settle down for a few beers! I haven't led a sheltered life but it takes me awhile to notice my surroundings fully.

While I sit at the bar I notice that there are quite a few of my ship mates here also. They regularly disappear upstairs and appear a little later. I casually mention this to my mates. They aren't concerned, after all we are sitting at the bar of a fairly large brothel! My ship mates are getting acquainted with the locals!

A few days later, we are back on patrol and my sick bay is pretty busy. I have about 25 cases of STD's (sexually transmitted diseases). This to Jack, is an accepted hazard of his life style! Around 15 of these new cases appear to have got their little problem from the same girl - yep, you guessed it - this group paid a visit to the brothel in Antigua.

So, many smears and painful injections later, all of the new cases are treated. The worrying thing, for me, is that it is during this period that the world is beginning to wake up to the threat of Aids. One of my roles is to lecture the crew on health & hygiene. But Jack, I think, always adopts the attitude to jump first and ask questions later!

Of course, as part of my stores I carry a good supply of contraceptives. I don't think there was a single occasion during my time on the ship that I was ever asked for any of these!

5 comments:

  1. Amazing! Boys will be boys, indeed!

    Good blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really interesting blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have meandered here from bogcatalog whilst searching for online memoirs of quality to mention in a radio programme I am speaking in about internet publishing. This is just such and I will try and 'give it a plug' on BBC Radio Stoke this Sunday 24 May.

    KUTGW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello there. Just a quick note to say that I have highlighted this blog in an e-booklet I have produced to accompany an interview I will be doing on BBC Radio Stoke (North Midlands of UK) on Sunday 24 May 2009 at 1400hrs BST.

    The subject will be internet publishing and blogging.

    To see the e-booklet, please go to;

    http://tinyurl.com/r4qw7o

    If you have the inclination to listen to the interview on line please go to

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/bbc_radio_stoke/

    Best wishes

    dave

    ReplyDelete