Tuesday 20 February 2007

The beginning...

My journey to the Falklands war started way back in 1973.

Glam rock, flaired trousers and flared collars. T.Rex, Gary Glitter, David Bowie, Slade were all in their pomp, strutting their stuff high in the charts.

This was the year that I came to the end of my secondary education. I had done well academically at my secondary modern school. I was reasonably bright in the top form throughout this period.

Unfortunately, I was an all round sportsman and in most of the school's teams. This meant I took my eye of the 'academic ball' in the last minutes of the game - end result - a couple of O levels, instead of 5 to 6 that I should have achieved.

So much for sporting prowess.

Here I was, now what to do?

I lived in Taunton - not exactly a thriving hub at the time. Careers advisors thought it was great to work in the local factories. I disagreed. I didn't have a clue what to do (as the Sweet once said).

By chance I found myself outside of the Royal Navy careers office - not a natural place for me, given my dislike of authority. I had managed to last around 20 minutes in the army cadets - who the hell did they think they were? Giving me orders!

So, it is still a mystery to me how, half an hour later I left the Royal Navy careers office having signed on for 9 years service as a Naval Medic (or, medical assistant as they were called).

Why naval medicine - who knows? I liked biology so it seemed a good idea to me.

Oh! I would be seeing the world as well! Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment