Tuesday 27 February 2007

Neptune lives..!

Contrary to popular opinion - Neptune is alive and well.

You can see him in the picture - he's the one with the trident!

It's may 1982 - I am on the Leeds Castle steaming towards the South Atlantic and the Falklands conflict. This is my first ship so I am learning as I go.

Imagine my surprise when I am told that Neptune will be visiting the ship! Not only that, but I have been co-opted to his court. I will be acting as his 'doctor of the court'. My task will be to administer foul tasting tablets to the victims of the 'court' (these tablets are concocted by one of the chefs - I shudder to imagine what was in them). Still with me?

Well, this is another Royal Navy tradition that happens when the a ship crosses the equator for the first time during a deployment. the idea is to thank 'Neptune' for allowing safe passage on his seas. This is charmingly known as 'the crossing the line ceremony'.

Most of the crew dress up in suitably silly costumes and round up those crew members who are 'crossing the line' for the first time (that includes me). A canvas swimming pool is erected on the flight deck. It is here that Neptune holds court.

One by one the first timers are given the foul tablets by me, and overseen by Neptune and his cronies they are throughly dunked in the pool. Great fun is had by all. I thought I might be spared, given my lofty position as court doctor. Not a bit of it. Neptune's men seemed to take great pleasure in giving me a thorough dunking!

So there you go - Neptune is alive and well. Ask anyone who has 'crossed the line' on a royal Navy ship!

No comments:

Post a Comment