Thursday 27 May 2010

A beach god!....

1978.

One last Catalan bay story.

I was, of course, a bit of a beach god - rippling muscles, golden tanned body - the works!  Um, well, not quite.

In reality I was a bit on the thin side - not an ounce of fat on me.  Being fair haired and fair skinned meant that the sun and I were not the best of bedfellows.  In fact, we had a pretty poor relationship truth be told.

So, a draft to Gibraltar for a year would pose a few sunny problems for me.

Obviously, one of the main attractions for most was the sun and beaches of the Rock.  My light skin did pose me difficulties - one look at a hot sun usually meant redness, pain, peeling and quickly back to a bright white finish again.

A strategy was called for.  For the first few weeks of hitting the beach I would lie for the most part completely covered in towels, occasionally breaking cover for a swim and a cool beer.  I could often be seen with the local seagulls standing on me, seemingly not bothered that the towelled rock was rising and falling with my breathing.

I was able to ditch the towels in favour of copious quantities of sun screen.  After a year on the rock, I returned home with a slight, very slight tan.  Impressive.

No comments:

Post a Comment