Wednesday 26 May 2010

A Catalan picnic...

1978.

Catalan bay is the main beach on Gibraltar - a very popular spot.  Particularly with the locals.

On a particularly warm, sunny afternoon I was sitting on the sea wall, surveying the scene below, drinking some Rose and munching through some Calamaris (squid) - still the best I have eaten.

I digress.  below me was a crowded Catalan bay beach - the locals were out in force.  Now these people could seriously picnic.  The beach was crowded with tables, chairs, families, all tucking in to impressive looking spreads of food.  A great day out.

To my surprise, I saw a fairly significant wave gathering, not quite a Tsunami but impressive nevertheless.  The wave swept in from one end of the beach and engulfed the happy campers - sweeping picnics and people before it. It was very funny indeed (nobody was hurt), the wave just decimated every picnic in sight!

I couldn't help but laugh from my perch above the beach - shame on me!

No comments:

Post a Comment