Friday 2 March 2007

Court Martial......

Whilst working in RNH Plymouth on the ENT/Orthopaedic ward, C2, I think - I was to experience my first real contact with naval 'justice'. This was some time in late 74 or early 75.

I was working the night shift, 14 nights straight, then 14 days off. This was standard for many years in Naval hospitals - used to screw up your sleep patterns no end.

C2 was an ENT and an orthopaedic remedial ward. I remember, the CPO Nurse was a very good guy - I learned a lot from him.

During this particular spell of night duty, I was the only MA on duty at night - this was quite unusual; more often, there would be two staff.

I remember, we had a CPO Nurse tutor as a patient, suffering from osteomylitis - a particularly, unpleasant and painful inflammation of bone; in this case - one of his legs. This guy needed peace and quiet and a chance to recuperate and recover.

Naval hospitals also cared for civilians and, during this period of night duty we had a holiday maker admitted who had slipped down the cliffs a little way and damaged his back. He was admitted and put on traction. This consisted of strapping a canvas belt around the waist, connecting it to weights hung over a pulley at the end of the bed. the idea was to seperate the spines discs to allow cartilage to ease back into place - thus, curing the problem.

Now, this patient turned out to be obnoxious, foul mouthed and loud. He would makes demands of me all night - I would continually turn him to prevent bed sores. If any of the nurses from the ward above or below me popped in for a cuppa he would hurl abuse at them.

Finally, I had enough of this guy, so I put screens around his bed so that my other patients, at least, didn't have to look at him. Eventually, this individual was discharged and returned from whence he came - from, up North, I think. To this day I am convinced he was swinging the lead; a thing very difficult to determine when someone is complaining of low back pain. I thought no more about it.

Imagine my surprise, some weeks later, when on another stint of night duty, I am summoned to appear at a Court Martial! It seems that my northern 'friend' is suing the Navy for ill treatment whilst in hospital. The Navy were putting the nurse in charge - the CPO through the ordeal of a court martial. Obviously, the ex patient was simply trying to screw some money out of the forces - this could be at the expense of the career of the CPO. Un - bloody - believable!

So, one week into nights, tired and a little crotchety I found myself in front of the Commodore at HMS Drake, a witness against the CPO in the court martial. I was only 17 but felt that the CPO was being dealt from a loaded deck of cards. I was furious. Now, no longer the shy individual who had joined the service I was not prepared to be part of such an injustice.

I was called in front of the Commodore, to give my 'evidence'. One week into night duty, dressed in my best uniform, mid-morning, tired and extremely pissed of. I let rip.

I removed my cap, disrespectful in itself and, told the Commodore what I thought of Naval justice and extolled the virtues of the CPO who I had the utmost respect for. The Commodore, looking a little bemused, thanked me for my 'views' and dismissed me. Blimey! I could have really been in the mire. I think the only thing that saved me was my youth and that I was, obviously, tired.

The CPO was exonerated by the court martial; I don't think my testimony had anything to do with it; I just think that the Commodore decided that there was no case to answer. However, the CPO wasn't quite the same after that. He left the service not too long afterwards.

This was not to be my last run in with Naval discipline. More of that, later.

No comments:

Post a Comment