Tuesday 6 March 2007

Easter break 1982...........!

So, it's been a busy few months. Time for some leave - it's the 23rd April 1982, I'm serving at HMS Cochrane, Rosyth.

My wife, Sue - a serving Wren, and I decide before traveling South that we should get a bit of shopping in. We return a little later to our married quarter to find a note pinned to the front doors. It tells me to report to the sick bay. This can only mean one thing. So should I ignore it and travel South anyway - no-one would be the wiser. A nanosecond later I'm on the way to HMS Cochrane's sick bay. Duty - it can be a bugger!

I present myself to my Divisional Officer (DO) and am informed that I'd be joining HMS Leeds Castle, a fishery protection ship deploying for the Falklands conflict. This is what I trained for and is my duty - so no complaints. I did baulk, a little, at the reasoning behind my DO's decision to send me. Another had been identified to go; my boss cancelled this and got me the gig instead. "This would be good experience for you Wright" he opined. Bloody easy for him - there was little chance of him becoming involved and maybe developing a few extra holes in his body. Well, that's what you get for being an officer candidate!

0900 24th April sees me join the Leeds Castle. Not bad - 24 hours notice to go to war. I, of course, had given up hopes of going to sea after 9 years in the medical branch. well, you better be careful what you wish for. My first ship and it was of to war. Blimey! This first morning is spent with a dental team doing a complete check of the ship's company. Toothache 7000 miles from home is no laughing matter!

I store the ship with medical supplies from HMS Cochrane sick bay on 25th April. This would take all day. The Leeds Castle is ill equipped to take all of the medical supplies required. After all it is a fishery protection ship, not a bloody frigate. So after much thought and discussion with supplies every available nook and cranny is crammed with medical supplies.

Pop back home at 1700 for a somewhat burnt Sunday dinner. Back to the ship at 1830 with Sue, my wife, in tow. Say my goodbyes, all very stoic. However, over the coming months I will worry more about my wife and my colleagues than myself.

1000 26th April we sail from Roysth for Portmouth. It begins.......

No comments:

Post a Comment